You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Home of the Sebijk.com. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sebijk

Administrator

• "Sebijk" started this thread

Friday, May 23rd 2014, 9:35pm

Getting XP updates

Click here for german - Want to say thank you? Support ReactOS Community Edition at Indiegogo.com

POSReady 2009 is based on the Windows XP kernel and get updates until 2019. I want to know, if i can apply that on normal XP, but i get a error of version mismatch.

So i looking in the update.inf/update_SP3QFE.inf and it checks only some registry entries:

Source code

[Prerequisite]
    condition=CompositeOp,OrOp,Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded.Section

[Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded.Section]
    OrOp=Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded1.Section
    OrOp=Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded2.Section
    Display_String="%A6Blocked%"
[Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded1.Section]
    EqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion",FeaturePackVersion,0x00000000,==,"SP3"
    EqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS",Installed,0x10001,==,1
[Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded2.Section]
    EqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"System\WPA\WES",Installed,0x10001,==,1
    EqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady",Installed,0x10001,==,1

The solution is simple. Create a text file with this content::

Source code

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Save as .reg file and doubleclick to import it.

POSReady2009 Updates will now install on a normal XP and Windows Updates shows also the updates for POSReady2009

ATTENTION: Use it you own risk! These updates are not tested on a regular XP system and could damage your system

Instead PosReady you can also use WEPOS or WES. A reboot is not required.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

XP x64 is based Windows Server 2003, but new Server2003 updates will not install on XP x64.

But i found a workaround by applying a modify update.inf. Since update.exe will check the integry of update.inf, you need to swap the files directly:

1. First you need to download manually the update from microsoft.com and then execute with the switch /x to unpack it (ex. C:\xpupdate).
2. Create update.cmd:

Source code

c:
cd "C:\xpupdate\update"
echo Replace update.inf with update.inf.new
copy update_SP2QFE.inf org_update_SP2QFE.inf /y
copy new_update_SP2QFE.inf update_SP2QFE.inf /y
echo Apply Update 
start update.exe /passive /norestart /log:c:\xpupdate\install.log
ping -n 1 -w 5 1.1.1.1>nul
copy org_update_SP2QFE.inf update_SP2QFE.inf /y

3. Copy update_SP2QFE.inf to new_update_SP2QFE.inf (in folder c:\xpupdate\update)
4. On new_update_SP2QFE.inf you need to delete this.

Source code

Condition=AndOp,Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section

and the end (end of line):

Source code

[Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section]
    PresentOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000
    NotEqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000,!=,"WinNT"
    Display_String="%WrongProductMessage%"

5. Execute update.cmd

You can view install.log to show, if the installation is successfull. A reboot is required.

Social bookmarks