Getting XP updates

• Getting XP updates

Click here for german - Want to say thank you? Support ReactOS Community Edition at Indiegogo.com

POSReady 2009 is based on the Windows XP kernel and get updates until 2019. I want to know, if i can apply that on normal XP, but i get a error of version mismatch.

So i looking in the update.inf/update_SP3QFE.inf and it checks only some registry entries:

Quellcode

1. [Prerequisite]
      2. condition=CompositeOp,OrOp,Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded.Section
      3. [Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded.Section]
      4. OrOp=Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded1.Section
      5. OrOp=Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded2.Section
      6. Display_String="%A6Blocked%"
      7. [Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded1.Section]
      8. EqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion",FeaturePackVersion,0x00000000,==,"SP3"
      9. EqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS",Installed,0x10001,==,1
      10. Display_String="%A6Blocked%"
      11. [Prereq.XPInstallEmbedded2.Section]
      12. EqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"System\WPA\WES",Installed,0x10001,==,1
      13. EqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady",Installed,0x10001,==,1
      14. Display_String="%A6Blocked%"
      Alles anzeigen

The solution is simple. Create a text file with this content::

Quellcode

1. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
      2. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
      3. "Installed"=dword:00000001

Save as .reg file and doubleclick to import it.

POSReady2009 Updates will now install on a normal XP and Windows Updates shows also the updates for POSReady2009

ATTENTION: Use it you own risk! These updates are not tested on a regular XP system and could damage your system

Instead PosReady you can also use WEPOS or WES. A reboot is not required.
      _________________________________________________________________________________________

XP x64 is based Windows Server 2003, but new Server2003 updates will not install on XP x64.

But i found a workaround by applying a modify update.inf. Since update.exe will check the integry of update.inf, you need to swap the files directly:

1. First you need to download manually the update from microsoft.com and then execute with the switch /x to unpack it (ex. C:\xpupdate).
      2. Create update.cmd:

Quellcode

1. c:
      2. cd "C:\xpupdate\update"
      3. echo Replace update.inf with update.inf.new
      4. copy update_SP2QFE.inf org_update_SP2QFE.inf /y
      5. copy new_update_SP2QFE.inf update_SP2QFE.inf /y
      6. echo Apply Update
      7. start update.exe /passive /norestart /log:c:\xpupdate\install.log
      8. ping -n 1 -w 5 1.1.1.1>nul
      9. copy org_update_SP2QFE.inf update_SP2QFE.inf /y

3. Copy update_SP2QFE.inf to new_update_SP2QFE.inf (in folder c:\xpupdate\update)
      4. On new_update_SP2QFE.inf you need to delete this.

Quellcode

1. Condition=AndOp,Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section

and the end (end of line):

Quellcode

1. [Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section]
      2. PresentOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000
      3. NotEqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000,!=,"WinNT"
      4. Display_String="%WrongProductMessage%"

5. Execute update.cmd

You can view install.log to show, if the installation is successfull. A reboot is required.
    • Getting XP updates (x64)

Hello.

Numerous news sources like PCWorld and ZDNet reference this post, but the instructions to get x64 updates are unclear.

I understand that one is supposed to extract the contents of an updater executable into "C:\xpupdate" by executing it in the command line with the "/extract" switch, and browsing to "C:\xpupdate" where it will be extracted.

Then when that is done, one is supposed to run your script "update.cmd".

There is just one glaring problem.

It seems that you are referencing a very specific install/update that isn't specified in your post.

For example, I tried your instructions with this:

microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8483

However, the "update_SP2QFE.inf" in that installation package has no instance of "XPAMDInstallBlock", which is something that must be deleted according to your instructions.

This leads me to believe that you are working with a very specific update/install.

What is the specific KB####### update that you are using for this workaround?
    • Getting XP updates (x64)

It took me a long time, but I found the proper installer:

microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42717

I made "new_update_SP2QFE.inf" (in folder c:\xpupdate\update) with the modifications you mentioned.

However, here are the results of my "install.log":

Quellcode

1. [install.log]
      2. 0.141: ================================================================================
      3. 0.141: 2018/07/16 04:11:42.809 (local)
      4. 0.141: C:\xpupdate\update\update.exe (version 6.3.4.1)
      5. 0.141: Hotfix started with following command line: /passive /norestart /log:c:\xpupdate\install.log
      6. 0.141: In Function GetBuildType, line 1170, RegQueryValueEx failed with error 0x2
      7. 0.141: ProductType is Present
      8. 0.141: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions\ProductType is Equal To Specified Value
      9. 0.141: Second Condition in Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section Failed
      10. 0.141: Condition Check for Line 1 of PreRequisite returned FALSE
      11. 0.141: KB2926765 Setup encountered an error: This software update is not intended for the operating system product you have on the machine.
      12. 0.141: This software update is not intended for the operating system product you have on the machine.
      13. 0.141: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0f4
      14. 0.141: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.
      Alles anzeigen

How does anyone get this to work?

Also, my login doesn't work anymore and the password reset doesn't work.
    (c) 2004-2018 Home of the Sebijk.com