Getting XP updates

• Official Post

Click here for german - Want to say thank you? Support ReactOS Community Edition at Indiegogo.com

POSReady 2009 is based on the Windows XP kernel and get updates until 2019. I want to know, if i can apply that on normal XP, but i get a error of version mismatch.

So i looking in the update.inf/update_SP3QFE.inf and it checks only some registry entries:

The solution is simple. Create a text file with this content::

Code
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
    "Installed"=dword:00000001

Save as .reg file and doubleclick to import it.

POSReady2009 Updates will now install on a normal XP and Windows Updates shows also the updates for POSReady2009

ATTENTION: Use it you own risk! These updates are not tested on a regular XP system and could damage your system

Instead PosReady you can also use WEPOS or WES. A reboot is not required.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

XP x64 is based Windows Server 2003, but new Server2003 updates will not install on XP x64.

But i found a workaround by applying a modify update.inf. Since update.exe will check the integry of update.inf, you need to swap the files directly:

1. First you need to download manually the update from microsoft.com and then execute with the switch /x to unpack it (ex. C:\xpupdate).
    2. Create update.cmd:

Code
    c:
    cd "C:\xpupdate\update"
    echo Replace update.inf with update.inf.new
    copy update_SP2QFE.inf org_update_SP2QFE.inf /y
    copy new_update_SP2QFE.inf update_SP2QFE.inf /y
    echo Apply Update 
    start update.exe /passive /norestart /log:c:\xpupdate\install.log
    ping -n 1 -w 5 1.1.1.1>nul
    copy org_update_SP2QFE.inf update_SP2QFE.inf /y

3. Copy update_SP2QFE.inf to new_update_SP2QFE.inf (in folder c:\xpupdate\update)
    4. On new_update_SP2QFE.inf you need to delete this.

Code
    Condition=AndOp,Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section

and the end (end of line):

Code
    [Prereq.XPAMDInstallBlock.Section]
        PresentOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000
        NotEqualOp=CheckReg,HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions",ProductType,0x00000000,!=,"WinNT"
        Display_String="%WrongProductMessage%"

5. Execute update.cmd

You can view install.log to show, if the installation is successfull. A reboot is required.

• Hello.

Numerous news sources like PCWorld and ZDNet reference this post, but the instructions to get x64 updates are unclear.

I understand that one is supposed to extract the contents of an updater executable into "C:\xpupdate" by executing it in the command line with the "/extract" switch, and browsing to "C:\xpupdate" where it will be extracted.

Then when that is done, one is supposed to run your script "update.cmd".

There is just one glaring problem.

It seems that you are referencing a very specific install/update that isn't specified in your post.

For example, I tried your instructions with this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u…confirmation.aspx?id=8483

However, the "update_SP2QFE.inf" in that installation package has no instance of "XPAMDInstallBlock", which is something that must be deleted according to your instructions.

This leads me to believe that you are working with a very specific update/install.

What is the specific KB####### update that you are using for this workaround?

• It took me a long time, but I found the proper installer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u…oad/details.aspx?id=42717

I made "new_update_SP2QFE.inf" (in folder c:\xpupdate\update) with the modifications you mentioned.

However, here are the results of my "install.log":

How does anyone get this to work?

Also, my login doesn't work anymore and the password reset doesn't work.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

The maximum number of attachments: 10
    Maximum File Size: 1 MB
    Allowed extensions: bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, txt, zip